Mobile Markets are direct distributions of groceries and fresh produce, designed to meet people at their point of need.
in 2016, almost 7,000 people shopped for free at their neighborhood mobile market.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle brings a refrigerated truck full of food to a community center, church or health clinic. These deliveries often include fresh produce gleaned from a local farm the day before. We set up a temporary market where folks who need food can 'shop' for free.
what we do:
- Provide healthy produce and groceries at 24 Mobile Markets in our seven county service area
- Over 42% of the food we distribute is fresh produce
- Teach "Food Matters" nutrition lessons and cooking demonstrations so that families can learn how to prepare healthy meals with the produce a the Mobile Market.
why mobile markets:
- Efficient and cost effective. Mobile Markets do not require a permanent building or staff, reducing cost and allowing more flexibility in location and time.
- Meet people at their point of need. We choose convenient locations and times for our patrons, especially for those who lack transportation.
- Bring communities together. Host markets in local churches, community centers or health centers, staffed by local volunteers who patrons know and trust.