1 in 5 children in north carolina is at risk of hunger.
backpack buddies provides almost 2,400 children weekend meals.
BackPack Buddies is designed to provide children from low-income households with 10-12 pounds of nutritious kid friendly groceries for the weekend when free school lunches and breakfasts are not provided. The Food Shuttle works with each school system and individual schools to identify need. School officials at each site then identify students to receive BackPack Buddies.
- Over 118,000 children in our service area applied for free and reduced price meals, according to the Department of Public Instruction
- 1 in 5 children are at risk of hunger in North Carolina, according to Feeding America
What We Do
- Deliver almost 2,400 children BackPacks each week
- Partner with 80 schools across our service area
- Pack and distribute bags with healthy nutritious food for the weekend
- Last Fiscal Year: 80,000 BackPacks and 888,000 pounds of food were delivered
How you can help
- Get involved with PORCH Durham or PORCH Raleigh and start a neighborhood food drive.
- Hold your own food drive for BackPack Buddies. We always need items to send home with hungry children over the weekend. Here's how to do it.
- Fund a BackPack at your local school, see fundraisers below, or start your own!
- Know of a need in your local community? Contact Julie Cox to start up a BackPack Buddies program
Fund a BackPack and support your local school
We deliver more than 2,300 BackPack Buddies every week, here's how:
our community partners
Interested in becoming a corporate sponsor? See more information here.