Get to know the newest member of the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle staff - Ron Ross!
3 ways a recent upgrade to the IFFS truck fleet is helping feed those in need with healthy food: (Upgrades funded by a Walmart/Feeding America grant)
A special occasion from corporate partners Catering Works and SAS presented a unique opportunity for IFFS to rescue even more food from the dump.
Our 2014 Growing Report infographic illustrates the true difference made by our volunteers, donors, staff, and partners in the fight against hunger.
Meet Bob Starkes. He drives an IFFS Food Recovery & Distribution truck every week, & has been recognized in the Herald Sun.
IFFS volunteer Kelley guest blogs about her experience on a field gleaning trip to harvest surplus muscadine grapes in Zebulon, N.C.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle held its 6th annual “Turkey Takeout” event this past Friday, November 16th , distributing turkeys, fresh produce, bread, and pies for Thanksgiving meals to partner agencies and pantries for 500 families in need across the Triangle area this Thanksgiving. Food is donated by U.S. Foods, Ford's Produce, and other food donors, as well as gleaned from farmers' fields by Inter-Faith Food Shuttle volunteers. This year, we were able to distribute:
- 500 Turkeys
- 1000 lbs of green beans
- 1050 lbs of cabbage
- 3596 lbs of collard greens
- 5000 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 1500 lbs of rice
- 332 lbs of bread
- and 1050 lbs worth of pumpkin pies!
Thanks to Smokey Norris, Matt Blaisdell, and Bill McGehee of U.S. Foods; Melanie West of Ford's Produce, as well as their driver William; Lindsay Perry, our Local Produce Coordinator; the IFFS Warehouse staff (Dennis Wooten, Crystal Green, Lance Coley, and Patricia Wallace); and the IFFS Food Recovery & Distribution staff (Don Eli, Elizabeth Rodgers, Tradell Atkins, and Joann O'Neal) for making this possible!
Among the 25 agencies and pantries receiving food to distribute to families they have selected who are most in need:
- Alliance of Aids Services Pantry, Durham
- Benson Medical Center, where IFFS hosts a Medical Mobile Market, Benson
- Catholic Parish Outreach Pantry, Raleigh
- Church at Clayton Crossing, Clayton
- Community Helpers, Knightdale
- El Vinculo, Siler City
- Episcopal Farmworker Ministry, Dunn
- Family Life Pantry, Smithfield
- Freedom House Shelter, Chapel Hill
- Garner Area Ministries Pantry, Garner
- IFFS School Pantries in Durham
- New Jerusalem - IFFS Mobile Market, Rocky Mount
- Passage Home, Raleigh
- Positive Generation, Princeville
- Regeneration Development, Pine Tops
- Tarboro Community Outreach Shelter, Tarboro
- The Oaks Community, Raleigh
- Universal Outreach Pantry, Wake Forest
While this distribution of food means that 500 more families will be able to enjoy a holiday meal this week, there are still far too many families who will go without. With 1 in 4 children right here in the triangle at risk for hunger, the need in our community is great. What’s more, even as people are going hungry, about 130 lbs. of food per person ends up in landfills (USDA). As a grassroots response to food waste at the local retail and wholesale level, our Food Recovery and Distribution Program collects healthy, perishable food from over 300 donors and quickly distributes it to agencies in the greater Triangle area on 13 refrigerated trucks. Additionally, the excess production of area farms is a rich source of fresh, healthy produce. Our Field Gleaning Program connects farmers who have excess crops with people who need fresh produce. We bring a farmer-trained volunteer crew, gather the produce, and distribute it to people in need in our seven county area.
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
Sunday, October 7, 2012 at Fox 50 Family Fest 1-5 pm
on the banks of the Ol' Bull River at American Tobacco in Downtown Durham
Purchase your duck here: http://iffsduckrace.eventbrite.com/
All proceeds from this purchase go to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
- You can purchase one duck or as many as you want. Individual ducks are $10 each and Corporate ducks are $250. On the day of the event the ducks will be simultaneously released to race swiftly down the Ol' Bull River. More information and contest rules here.
- Prizes include Charlotte Bobcats vs. Miami Heat Basketball Tickets, Duke Men’s Basketball Tickets, tickets to see a Broadway Show at the DPAC and more! There's even a prize for the "Best Decorated Duck!"
How to Claim Your Duck(s) after purchase:
- Option 1 - Bring your receipt to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, 1001 Blair Dr., Raleigh, by Sept. 28th, M-F 9am - 5pm
- Option 2 - Bring your receipt to the American Tobacco Caompus on the day of the event, Sun. Oct. 7th, 1pm - 3:30pm
What Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Does in Durham
Your duck purchase will help support Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's work to end hunger in Durham and throughout our service area including Durham, Wake, Orange, Chatham, Johnston, Edgecombe, and Nash counties. In Durham, we fight hunger through:
- Food Recovery and Distribution & Mobile Markets: We distribute free fresh produce through our numerous partner agencies in Durham as well as our monthly Mobile Markets at West Durham Baptist Church and Iglesia El Buen Pastor.
- Community Gardens: In the West End Neighborhood, IFFS works with and employs neighborhood youth to grow food. Our corporate community garden at BCBSNC grows food for IFFS's Plant a Row for the Hungry program, which is distributed to agencies in Durham that feed the hungry.
- Nutrition Education: We teach nutrition through Food Matters healthy cooking demonstrations at our monthly Mobile Markets and through Cooking Matters classes at community organizations like the Durham Teen Center, Durham Housing Authority, and Bull City Fit at the Edison Johnson Recreational Center.
- BackPack Buddies: We provide weekend meals for children in need at Eastway Elementary, Y.E. Smith Elementary, Glenn Elementary, C.C. Spaulding Elementary, Forestview Elementary, and the John Avery Boys & Girls Club.
- In-School Pantries at Southern High School, Northern High School, Hillside New Technical High School, and Neal Middle School.
Thank you for your support, and see you at Family Fest!