Our annual Mediathon with WRAL-TV and MIX 101.5 is on July 18th! We will be broadcasting all day to raise money and awareness for our child hunger programs.
Our Advocacy Manager Julie Cox gave us the top five reasons you should donate to BackPack Buddies
- There are currently 118,000 children in our seven county service area who apply for free/reduced lunch every year. We currently deliver backpacks to 2,400 children, so clearly we have a lot of ground to make up for and you can help us do that!
- We are opening a new child hunger programs warehouse this Fall. The goal is to increase by 500 children who receive bags, which is going to take a lot of extra food and money.
- There are currently 25 school pantries in our partner schools. These pantries are a great way for children and families of schools in our area to have access to a good food resource, and we are always working to add more.
- Food insecure children are provided with free school lunches throughout the week, but many go hungry on the weekends. BackPack Buddies provides food so children and their parent’s don’t have to worry about what they will eat on the weekend.
- Studies show that the situation is getting worse for people in poverty. Food is such a basic need, and we need to be able to support these children and their families who are struggling to find food.
We are working every day to fight these numbers and make sure no one goes hungry. You can help us in the fight by donating today! Drop off non-perishable food items at Food Lion, or donate HERE