Refer to Monday's post for full ingredient list to make 5 meals for under $50
Eating Well Magazine, October 2013
Tuesday: Chickpea & Chorizo Fideos
Makes 4 servings of 1 1/2 cups each in under 25 minutes and under $2 per serving!
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Package whole wheat angel hair pasta broken into 2 inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 oz.)
- 1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil into the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water, wine and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and scallions and cook 1 minute more.