WHO: Wake County teens ages 15-18 who are interested in farming and ending hunger in their community (no previous experience is necessary).
WHAT: Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is looking for Young Farmer Training Programapprentices for our 2012 programs. Learn how to grow, cook, and sell delicious, local food while improving your health and your community! The 2 year program is broken into 3 sessions throughout the year that build on each other. After their graduation from the first year, apprentices can apply for a second year YFTP apprenticeship.
WHERE: Most days YFTP apprentices are on IFFS six-acre Raleigh farm on Tryon Rd. Monthly field trips include community gardens, farms, homesteads, and food sites.
- Applications Due: March 12
- Working Interviews at 4505 Tryon Rd: March 19th and 20th from 4pm-7pm
- Sessions (applicants should plan to attend all 3 sessions as they build on each other):
- Spring into Farming: April 3 - June 2 TUES 4-6pm & SAT 9am-1pm
- Summer on the Farm: June 12 – August 18 TUES 9am-1pm & SAT 9am-1pm
- Fall for Farmers: August 28 - October 27 TUES 4-6pm & SAT 9am-1pm
WHAT YOU GET:
- Weekly stipend, weekly fresh vegetables, and healthy recipes
- Scholarship opportunities for workshops, conferences and courses
- Extra income from sales of vegetables, flowers, herbs
- Hands-on farming and business management skills
- Culinary and nutrition training
- Connection with other teens and local farmers
- Certificate for each completed training session
- Opportunities, resources and land to manage your own farm or garden project
Download an application here or from www.FoodShuttle.org
Second-year applications can be downloaded here.
Email questions to Mitra@foodshuttle.org