FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Apr 22, 2011—FOUR OAKS, NC
This Saturday in Four Oaks, NC, Inter-Faith Food Shuttle (IFFS) is providing free food to people in need. IFFS is bringing one of its refridgerated trucks full of healthy, nutritious food to a neighborhood hit hard by last week's tornadoes. Anyone impacted by the storms may come and "shop" for food. All of the food is free. Free Easter baskets will also be given to families with children. The market will be set up in front of the Dollar General located at 507 E Wellons Street. The event starts at 3pm.
On April 21th IFFS served more than 700 hot meals and 800 hot meals on Friday (April 22) night. This weekend, IFFS will serve more than 1,000 hot meals on Saturday (April 23) and another 1,000 on Sunday (April 24).
VIDEO COVERAGE: In their own words. Family - Tornado Hits Our Family's 6th Birthday Shelly - Tornado Hit her Home Vet - Tornado Hits Our Home when 82 Year Old Mom was Home
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle in Action Tornado Disaster Relief - Kia Baker Hot Meals - Terri Hutter Food In, Food Prepared & Food Out - Jill Staton Bullard
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW NEEDS HELP
- Come receive free, hot meals, prepared by the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle’s culinary program, at these locations in the heart of where the tornadoes hit in downtown Raleigh:
Helping Hand Mission of Raleigh 623 Rock Quarry Road Raleigh, NC 27610
- Thursday, April 21 after 4 PM,
- Friday, April 22 after 4 PM,
- Saturday, April 23 after 11 AM, and
- Sunday, April 24 (EASTER) after 11 AM.
Boys & Girls Club (Meals available at the Girls Club Building) 701 N. Raleigh Boulevard Raleigh, NC 27610
- Thursday, April 21 4:30 PM – 6 PM,
- Friday, April 22 4:30 PM – 6 PM,
- Saturday, April 23 Noon – 1 PM, and
- Sunday, April 24 Noon – 1PM.
2. Come to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, 1001 Blair Drive, in Raleigh, NC to receive emergency supplies of food
3. Or call the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle at (919) 250-0043 to find a partner agency distributing food.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP
- Donate online www.foodshuttle.org
- Come to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, 1001 Blair Drive, in Raleigh, NC to donate food or volunteer.
- Volunteer - No need to call, just come. We are accepting volunteers all week to help sort nonperishable food in the warehouse and staff our emergency food pick up table. Volunteers may come between 8am and 4pm and should wear closed-toed shoes and dress for the weather. The warehouse might be warm.
- Donate Food - Items most needed:
- WATER and juice
- pop top fruit cups and meats like tuna and chicken
- Deli items such as sandwiches and salads
- Snack items such as granola bars and snack crackers
3. Donate Money/Gas Cards
IFFS is distributing an average of ten tons of emergency food each day to people impacted by the tornadoes and serving hot meals where the tornadoes hit hardest. In addition to running these emergency services, IFFS trucks are on the roads delivering healthy, nutritious food throughout the Triangle to 212 partner agencies and performing direct distribution programs through mobile markets, grocery bags, BackBack Buddies and community gardens programs. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is providing food to the Red Cross and NC Baptist Men and supplementing their distribution efforts. Smithfield Foods donated more than 5,000 pounds of pork to IFFS’s emergency hot meal service.
ABOUT INTER-FAITH FOOD SHUTTLE The Inter-Faith Food Shuttle has been increasing access to healthy, fresh produce for low-income community members for 21 years. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle pioneers innovative, transformative solutions designed to end hunger in our community. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle has partnered with Share Our Strength to run Cooking Matters classes in the Triangle since 2008. Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is a non-traditional Food Bank of Feeding America and an United Way Agency of Excellence.
MEDIA CONTACT: Melissa Hartzell (919) 414-2069 or Jill Staton Bullard (919) 812-1885.