Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Farm and Garden
Crew-Call July 13-
We’re in the midst of the summer harvest and bringing truckloads of produce every week! Squash, zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes and okra are ripe for the pickin’! So c’mon out to the farm during the week to help us harvest. We’ll also be doing some general farm maintenance and need help tidying up the greenhouse. Please make sure to email Sun if you are coming out to help (9-1p and again from 4:30-6, sometimes until 8p). Whether you’re helping at the farm or in the community gardens, please make sure to bring a bottle of water, sunscreen, bug spray and even a granola bar or light snack to help keep you going!
VOLUNTEER TIMES & EVENTS:
- Farm, Work day, Saturday between 9a-2p (4505 Tryon Road)
- We need 10 volunteers that can each commit 2-3 hours this Saturday!
- Reserve your spot with Sun (email@example.com) so he knows you’re coming out to help!
NEW DIRECTIONS! No, the farm hasn’t changed location, we’re just asking that all volunteers park at 4505 Tryon Road, where the IFFS Farm sign is now set. Once you park your car, walk across the field towards the greenhouse; Sun and Steven will be in that general area.
- Community Gardens Work times:
Neighbor 2 Neighbor Tuesday 4-5:00pm
Mayview Wednesday 4-5:00pm
Alliance Medical Ministry Thursday 4-5:00pm
- We really need help watering the gardens! If you can volunteer on a different day or time, please email Amanda.
- We need 3 volunteers for each work day- email Amanda (Amanda@foodshuttle.org) if you can help.
- Garden Addresses/Directions: Neighbor to Neighbor is at 1200 S Blount Street; 1 story brick building on right with long chain link fence. The Mayview garden site is located down the grassy hill behind the duplex at 2136 Mayview Rd (backing up to the Jaycee field). Alliance Medical Ministry is located at the corner of New Bern Ave. and Donald Ross Dr. at 101 Donald Ross.
- Irvin Learning Farm, 9a-12p (2912B Jones Ferry Road, Chapel Hill)
- The Food Shuttle and Triangle Land Conservancy are starting a new teaching farm at TLC's Irvin Learning Farm outside of Carrboro on Jones Ferry Rd. and we need your help! We’re installing 1/2 acre of vegetables on new land at Irvin Hill and plan to expand this teaching operation to include vegetable production, permaculture and rotation grazing for small farm animal production. Regular volunteer times are available on Friday and Saturday mornings from 9a-12p. If you live near Chapel Hill this is a great opportunity to help start a teaching farm from the ground up. Please email Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are able to help.
Directions From Chapel Hill: Go west on NC 54 Bypass and take the Jones Ferry Road exit. Turn left onto Jones Ferry Road and follow 3.6 miles to the Irvin Learning Farm sign on the left. Follow the signs indicating the gravel driveway on the left. Go past the barns and house, take the next dirt path on the left. The garden is down the hill.
- PAR (Plant a Row for the Hungry) – sign up to become a member or drop off site!
- The IFFS PAR program encourages people to grow extra and/or donate excess produce to people in need through IFFS. We will have weekly PAR produce drop-off sites at locations around our 7 county service area, including at Logan's Trading Company.
- If you are interested in becoming a member (donating produce from your own harvest) or know of a farmers market or store that might be interested in becoming a PAR drop-off site please contact Don at email@example.com.
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
See you at the farm or gardens!
Sun, Amanda, Steven, Elizabeth & Katherine