Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Farm and Garden
Crew-Call June 15, 2010
Whew, it is HOT out there! Sun and Steven are at the farm mornings (9-1p) and late afternoons (4-6, sometimes as late as 8p) but are getting out of the heat during the middle of the day. Please make sure to email Sun if you are coming out to help and don’t forget to bring a bottle of water, sunscreen (bug spray if you are working in the gardens!) and even a granola bar or light snack to help keep you going!
VOLUNTEER TIMES & EVENTS
Farm, Work day, Saturday between 9a-2p (4505 Tryon Road)
- We need 10 volunteers that can each commit 2-3 hours this Saturday!
- It’s harvest time! Tomatoes, cukes and squash are ready to be picked!
- Reserve your spot with Sun (email@example.com) so he knows you’re coming out to help!
NEW DIRECTIONS! No, the farm hasn’t changed location, we’re just asking that all volunteers park at 4505 Tryon Road, where the IFFS Farm sign is now set. Once you park your car, walk across the field towards the greenhouse; Sun and Steven will be in that general area.
- Irvin Learning Farm, 8a-12p (2912B Jones Ferry Road, Chapel Hill)
- The Food Shuttle and Triangle Land Conservancy are starting a new teaching farm at TLC's Irvin Learning Farm outside of Carrboro on Jones Ferry Rd. Ben Reith needs help roto-tilling, planting and spreading mulch. If you live near Chapel Hill this is a great opportunity to help start a teaching farm from the ground up. Please email Sun (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are able to help.
Directions From Chapel Hill: Go west on NC 54 Bypass and take the Jones Ferry Road exit. Turn left onto Jones Ferry Road and follow 3.6 miles to the Irvin Learning Farm sign on the left. Follow the signs indicating the gravel driveway on the left. Go past the barns and house, take the next dirt path on the left. The garden is down the hill.
Community Gardens Work times:
Neighbor to Neighbor Tuesday 4-5:00pm
Mayview Wednesday 4-5:00pm
Alliance Medical Ministry Thursday 4-5:00pm
- We’re working with community members and youth to grow their gardens!
- We need 3 volunteers for each work day- email Amanda (Amanda@foodshuttle.org) if you can help.
- Garden Addresses/Directions: Neighbor to Neighbor is at 1200 S Blount Street; 1 story brick building on right with long chain link fence. The Mayview garden site is located down the grassy hill behind the duplex at 2136 Mayview Rd (backing up to the Jaycee field). Alliance Medical Ministry is located at the corner of New Bern Ave. and Donald Ross Dr. at 101 Donald Ross.
Vote for the Food Shuttle!
Today is the last day to vote for the Food Shuttle and Triangle Land Conservancy to create teaching farms in each of the counties the Food Shuttle serves. If you have yet to vote, please click here: http://www.justmeans.com/contestidea?ideaid=NDg4 Thank you for your support!
PAR (Plant a Row for the Hungry) – sign up to become a member!
- The IFFS PAR program encourages people to grow extra and/or donate excess produce to people in need through IFFS. We will have weekly PAR produce drop-off sites at locations around our 7 county service area, including at Logan’s on Saturday mornings.
- If you are interested in becoming a member (donating produce from your own harvest) or know of a farmers market or store that might be interested in becoming a PAR drop-off site please contact Don at email@example.com.
FARM & GARDENS BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farm & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stay cool and we hope to see you at the farm and gardens!
Sun, Amanda, Steven, Elizabeth & Katherine