We’ve selected our third Hands on Health neighborhood and are ready to get it going! Come out Saturday and help us work at the new Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's Community Garden at Alliance Medical Ministry.
VOLUNTEER TIME & EVENTS:
- New Community Garden Work Day at Alliance Medical Ministry, Saturday 9am-12pm!
- This Saturday we will be prepping beds and planting at the IFFS’s latest community gardening effort at Alliance Medical Ministry. We will also be canvassing the neighborhood to recruit residents to come out and join us. If you want to get dirty or help spread the word and get new people involved please come help us on Saturday.
- Please email Sun (Farm@foodshuttle.org) if you are planning on coming.
- Community Garden Work times:
- Neighbor to Neighbor Thursdays 3:30-5:00pm
- Mayview Fridays 3:30-5:00pm
- In both gardens we will be working with community members and youth to prep new beds for spring planting! Please email Amanda (NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org) if you are planning on coming.
- The Mayview garden site is located down the grassy hill behind the duplex at 2136 Mayview Rd (backing up to the Jaycee field).
- Neighbor to Neighbor is at 1200 S Blount Street; 1 story brick building on right with long chain link fence. Please park on E Bragg street (on right before you get to N2N).
PAR (Plant a Row) Kickoff – sign up to become a member or drop off site!
- The IFFS PAR program encourages people to grow extra and/or donate excess produce to people in need through IFFS. We will have weekly PAR produce drop-off sites at locations around our 7 county service area, including at Logan’s on Saturday mornings.
- If you are interested in becoming a member (donating produce from your own harvest) or know of a farmers market or store that might be interested in becoming a PAR drop-off site please contact Katherine@FoodShuttle.org.
- Wanted: Garden Leaders
- We are looking to grow our garden team and think you might be the perfect fit! We are looking for volunteers who would be willing to help lead other volunteers and community members in the gardens this spring and summer at the same time every week. We will send out more information soon but will likely need at least 1 person for Wednesdays from 5-6:30pm and another person for Fridays from 5-6pm. Please email email Amanda (NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org) if you are interested.
LOCAVORE LUNCH - This week’s topic: Planning for the future of the Locavore Lunch.
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (email@example.com) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. This week we will meet to discuss ideas and thoughts for this year’s locavore lunches including volunteer coordinators and guest speakers.
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
Hope to see you all this week and weekend!
Katherine, Sun, Amanda, & Steve