We have an exciting and diverse group of garden and local food opportunities this week. Please see below for all of the fun options!
VOLUNTEER TIME & EVENTS:
- Neighborhood Canvassing
- Help recruit for a new IFFS Hands on Health/Community Garden program at Alliance Medical Ministries! We are hosting a community forum and need help getting the word out to the surrounding community. We will canvass in teams, knocking on doors and inviting residents to the community forum on Saturday. They will have their first organizational meeting this Saturday, March 6th. If you can hand out fliers and help engage community members we will meet in Alliance's parking lot (corner of New Bern and Donald Ross) on
- Thursday, March 4 at 3 and 4:30pm
- Friday, March 5 at 4:00 pm.
- PAR (Plant a Row) Kickoff at Logan’s Trading Company
- Logan’s is helping us kick off the PAR season with workshops, activities, and a press conference with Mayor Meeker. We are looking for volunteers who can be at Logan’s to help lead the watermelon planting activity with kids from 9:30-1pm on March 13th. If you can help out for any portion of this time please email Katherine (Katherine@foodshuttle.org). We will also be encouraging people to visit Mayview and having a crew call in the Mayview garden that afternoon; more to come next week.
- The IFFS PAR program encourages people to grow extra and/or donate excess produce to people in need through IFFS. We will have weekly PAR produce drop-off sites at locations around our 7 county service area, including at Logan’s on Saturday mornings.
- Community Garden Work times:
- Neighbor to Neighbor Thursdays 3:30-5:00pm
- Mayview Fridays 3:30-5:00pm
- In both gardens we will be working with community members and youth to prep new beds for spring planting and get rid of all the water! Please email Amanda (NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org) if you are planning on coming.
**WINTER WEATHER PLAN**
Please note that with the winter weather we might have to cancel crew calls and volunteer times at the last minute. Often the ground is too wet or frozen from previous weather, even if it is nice outside at the time of the crew call. If you are interested in coming to an event and note bad weather please call the Food Shuttle (919.250.0043) an hour before the scheduled time to confirm that we are still going out if you have not heard from us at that point.
LOCAVORE LUNCH - This week’s topic: Sustainable and Local Farming
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (email@example.com) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. This week's topic will be allies of sustainable and local farming. Who backs the movement, but may not be on a farm and how do we network with them?
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
Hope to see you all on Thursday and Friday!
Katherine, Sun, Amanda, & Steve