Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Farm and Garden
Spring has finally arrived and we know you want to be outside! Bring your neighbor, friend, or family and join us this week. Logan’s PAR kickoff is Saturday and we will be sending interested people over to Mayview to join in the fun. We’d love to have as many volunteers there as possible to show others what a great Saturday activity volunteering with IFFS can be.
VOLUNTEER TIME & EVENTS:
- Mayview Work Day , Saturday 10am-2pm!
- Come out and help in the beautiful weather. We will be leveling the ground between beds and filling the ditches inside the garden space as well as harvesting greens and planting a new crop of spring goodness.
- The Mayview garden site is located down the grassy hill behind the duplex at 2136 Mayview Drive (backing up to the Jaycee field).
PAR (Plant a Row) Kickoff at Logan’s Trading Company
- Logan’s is helping us kick off the PAR season with workshops, activities, and a press conference with Mayor Meeker. We have enough volunteers but would love to see you at Logan’s on Saturday! Click here for details.
- The IFFS PAR program encourages people to grow extra and/or donate excess produce to people in need through IFFS. We will have weekly PAR produce drop-off sites at locations around our 7 county service area, including at Logan’s on Saturday mornings.
- Community Garden Work times:
- Neighbor to Neighbor Wenesday 2:00-5:00pm
- Mayview Fridays 3:30-5:00pm
- In both gardens we will be working with community members and youth to harvest greens and prep new beds for spring planting! Please email Amanda (NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org) if you are planning on coming.
LOCAVORE LUNCH - This week’s topic: Seedlings!
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (email@example.com) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. This week's topic will be seedlings. How do we get those tiny plants to survive to maturity?
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
Hope to see you all this week and weekend!
Katherine, Sun, Amanda, & Steve