The weather has slowed down growth at the farm and in the gardens but we’re still hard at work, particularly as we continue to recruit and engage community members and plan new gardens. We have regular garden days and a community outreach event planed for this week. If you are interested in community engagement this is the week for you! Please see below for more information.
VOLUNTEER TIME & EVENTS:
- Community Garden Work times:
- Neighbor to Neighbor Thursdays 3:30-5:00pm
- Mayview Fridays 3:30-5:00pm
- In both gardens we will be working with community members and youth to prep new beds for spring planting and get rid of all the water! We have limited room for volunteers - please email Amanda (NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org) if you are planning on coming.
- Saturday, Feb 20th from 9:30am-12pm at Alliance Medical Ministries in Raleigh. We are working with Alliance Medical Ministries and the Raleigh Community Gardens MeetUp group to potentially develop a new garden. Our first step is to find out if the community is interested and willing to get involved. This Saturday we will be going door to door to conduct a survey with the community about their gardening interests. If you are planning on coming please email Steve (email@example.com) for directions and more details.
**WINTER WEATHER PLAN**
Please note that with the winter weather we might have to cancel crew calls and volunteer times at the last minute. Often the ground is too wet or frozen from previous weather, even if it is nice outside at the time of the crew call. If you are interested in coming to an event and note bad weather please call the Food Shuttle (919.250.0043) an hour before the scheduled time to confirm that we are still going out if you have not heard from us at that point.
LOCAVORE LUNCH – Every Wednesday!
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. This week's topic will be food labeling. Organic, natural, naturally grown, local, chemical free, fair trade, free range, pasture raised. What do they all mean!?!
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
Hope to see you all out there!
Katherine, Sun, Amanda, & Steve