Come out Saturday before it gets any colder! We will continue to work on building our vermin-composting program by preparing lumber and constructing bins. We’re also looking for roofing tin; please consider calling a friend in construction or anyone you know who is re-doing their home. See below for more information. VOLUNTEER TIME:
- Garden Crew will meet this Saturday December 12th from 9:00–12:00 PM at the Food Shuttle Farm (see map below). We will be de-nailing donated lumber and constructing bins for the vermi-composting unit.
- Our Nutrition Coordinator, Amanda, and volunteer, Melissa, will be leading the charge at the Community Gardens this year and would love your help in the garden and working with community members. Please email Amanda at NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org if you want to join and for directions. Schedule Below:
- Tuesdays 4-5pm - Neighbor to Neighbor
- Wednesdays & Fridays 4-5pm - Mayview
- We can always use help during the week too! Farm Manager Sun Butler can meet you on the Farm any day during the week from 8:30-12 PM and 3-6PM. Please call Sun ahead to let him know when you are coming or give him a heads up on your way out there (919.559.2391). Sun’s number is also posted on the bulletin board at Food Shuttle Farm if you get there and cannot find him.
KNOW OF SOMEONE IN CONSTRUCTION?
We are looking for donated roofing tin. We need 20 pieces, at least 10 ft. in length each, to repair the roof on the vermi-compost building and to build a potting shed off the greenhouse.
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog farmsandgardens.wordpress.com. Never miss the latest Food Shuttle news by subscribing to the blog on the top right of the page. Use the blog to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
LOCAVORE LUNCH – Every Wednesday!
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (email@example.com) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
We will be discussing the same topic as last week (resources available in NC for small sustainable farmers), but with a wrap up of the CFSA conference.
**This will be our last meeting until January when schools start their 2010 semesters**
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
GROW VEGGIES AT HOME?
Our new Plant a Row (PAR) program has kicked off… We are hoping anyone with home grown vegetables will consider planting extra or just giving any excess harvest to our community members in need. Check out the attachment, spread the word, and/or get in touch with Katherine if you are interested in finding out more.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.