We hope you had a bountiful thanksgiving. We are so thankful for you all! This Saturday we will be having a unique crew call in one of our community gardens – at Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N) in Raleigh but are limited in space so we need to know if you’re planning on joining us. Please see below for more info. VOLUNTEER TIME:
- Garden Crew will meet this Saturday December 5th from 9:00–12:00 PM at Neighbor to Neighbor. We need 5-7 people to help finish the garden there. We'll be digging and raking up the remaining grass to plant cover seed before it gets much colder. Please RSVP to Amanda at email@example.com by Friday morning 12/4 if you're able to help. In the event the forecasted rain on Wednesday/Thursday of this week makes the ground too wet, we'll need to reschedule the crew call for sometime next week. N2N is located at 1200 S. Blount Street (see map).
- Dark is coming earlier these days so our garden times have gotten shorter – what an easy and quick way to get out and help!! Our Nutrition Coordinator, Amanda, and volunteer, Melissa, will be leading the charge at the Community Gardens this year and would love your help in the garden and working with community members. Please email Amanda at NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org if you want to join and for directions. Schedule Below:
- Tuesdays 4-5pm - Neighbor to Neighbor
- Wednesdays & Fridays 3:45-5:00pm - Mayview
- We need help during the week too! Farm Manager Sun Butler can meet you on the Farm any day during the week from 8:30-12 PM and 3-6PM. Please call Sun ahead to let him know when you are coming or give him a heads up on your way out there (919.559.2391). Sun’s number is also posted on the bulletin board at Food Shuttle Farm if you get there and cannot find him.
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog. This is a great place to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
LOCAVORE LUNCH – Every Wednesday!
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
This week we will be discussing resources available in NC for small sustainable farmers (i.e. CEFS and CFSA). CFSA has their big conference this weekend in Black Mountain and we'll be looking forward to hearing what comes out of the conference. Bring idea of organizations/websites you know that could help farmers of any experience.
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
GROW VEGGIES AT HOME?
Our new Plant a Row (PAR) program has kicked off… We are hoping anyone with home grown vegetables will consider planting extra or just giving any excess harvest to our community members in need. Check out the attachment, spread the word, and/or get in touch with Katherine if you are interested in finding out more.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
See you on Saturday at IFFS Farm