Thanks to so many of you that came out last Saturday. Everyone helped get a lot done and have even more to do this week. We have lots of fall greens to pick so that we can get them out to agencies and community members. Bring a friend, a neighbor, or make it a family affair and enjoy the beautiful fall weather!
- Garden Crew will meet this Saturday November 21st from 9:00–12:00 PM at Food Shuttle Farm (directions). Our fall garden is in and we need lots of help harvesting fall greens.
- Our Nutrition Coordinator, Amanda, and volunteer, Melissa, will be leading the charge at the Community Gardens this year and would love your help in the garden and working with community members. Please email Amanda at NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org if you want to join and for directions. Schedule Below:
- Tuesdays 4:00-5:30pm - Neighbor to Neighbor
- Wednesdays & Fridays 3:45-5:30pm - Mayview
- We need lots of help during the week too! Farm Manager Sun Butler can meet you on the Farm any day during the week from 8:30-12 PM and 3-6PM. Please call Sun ahead to let him know when you are coming or give him a heads up on your way out there (919.559.2391). Sun’s number is also posted on the bulletin board at Food Shuttle Farm if you get there and cannot find him.
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog. This is a great place to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
LOCAVORE LUNCH – Every Wednesday!
Every Wednesday at noon we are holding local agricultural discussion groups at Farmhouse Pizza, 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh. We will be serving a pizza made using some (hopefully soon to be all) local ingredients from NCSU's Farmers' Market. Please RSVP to Steve (email@example.com) so he knows many pizzas to have made. If you can contribute, he is asking for a $5 donation... if you can't afford the cost we’ll gladly cover you in return for good conversation! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
At this weeks discussion (11/18/09) Steve will be talking about the farmers' markets in the area, specifically focusing on NCSU's student run model. This week is the last week of NCSU's campus market this semester, but the success of the project throughout the year has been very promising. Hope to see you at lunch!
We are still in need of hand-tool donations. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
GROW VEGGIES AT HOME?
Our new Plant a Row (PAR) program has kicked off… We are hoping anyone with home grown vegetables will consider planting extra or just giving any excess harvest to our community members in need. Check out the attachment, spread the word, and/or get in touch with Katherine if you are interested in finding out more.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
See you on Saturday at IFFS Farm!