If you’re interested in helping out with our Farms and Community Gardens Project, the Crew Call is just for you. Once a week we send out a list of what work is going on, what kind of help we need and other fun farm and garden activity. You can sign-up for the Crew Call by emailing Janet at email@example.com. We'll also post them here. See you in the garden or on the farm!
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle Farm and Garden
This is the last weekend to plant most fall greens so we are going to be working on getting several more beds into production. We will have plenty to do this fall harvesting the last of the summer crops and ensuring a steady supply of garden greens and lettuce into January.
The Crop Mob is this Sunday – Come out and learn to Build a Greenhouse!
- Garden Crew will meet this Saturday October 24th from 9:00–12:00 PM at Food Shuttle Farm (see map below). We will be mulching and weeding as always and if it rains we will plant the winter garden inside the season extension greenhouse.
- Our Nutrition Coordinator, Amanda, and volunteer, Melissa, will be leading the charge at the Community Gardens this year and would love your help in the garden and working with community members. Please email Amanda at NutritionCoord@foodshuttle.org if you want to join and for directions. Schedule Below:
- Tuesdays 4:00-6:00pm - Neighbor to Neighbor
- Wednesdays & Fridays 3:30-5:30pm - Mayview
- Farm Manager Sun Butler can meet you on the Farm any day during the week from 8:30-12 PM and 3-6PM. If possible, please call Sun ahead to let him know when you are coming or give him a heads up on your way out there (919.559.2391). Sun’s number is also posted on the bulletin board at Food Shuttle Farm if you get there and cannot find him.
FARMS & GARDEN BLOG
Keep up with what’s going on with our Farms & Gardens and PAR programs through the IFFS blog. This is a great place to check out weekly ripe recipes, find yourself in photos of weekly crew calls, hear from other volunteers, and stay up to date with activities at IFFS. Let us know if you’re interested in contributing to the blog!
WEEKLY LOCAL AG Discussion
Crop Circle - a weekly Student Local Ag. Discussion group mediated by Steve Horton and Sun Butler meets every Thursday from 4-6 PM at the Farm House Restaurant at 3011 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh at the corner of Friendly Dr. and Hillsborough St. Outside agitators are welcome. Contact Steve for details firstname.lastname@example.org
CROP MOB Comes To Raleigh – Learn How To Build a Greenhouse!
The next Crop Mob has been set for Sunday Oct. 25th from 12-5 PM at S&L Farm in Louisburg. We will be putting up a hoop greenhouse. An evening meal will be served. Crop Mob is a group of young farmers and gardeners who meet once a month to help out local farmers with special projects. If you are interested in becoming a Crop Mobber, check out their website at http://cropmob.org/ and contact Steve Horton, Raleigh Crop Mob coordinator email@example.com.
We are still in need of hand-tool donations as well as gardening gloves for some of our senior participants. We gladly accept new and/or lightly used equipment. Thanks to all who have responded.
GROW VEGGIES AT HOME?
Our new Plant a Row (PAR) program has kicked off… We are hoping anyone with home grown vegetables will consider planting extra or just giving any excess harvest to our community members in need. Check out the attachment, spread the word, and/or get in touch with Katherine if you are interested in finding out more.
If you have not filled out a volunteer form or have a friend who is interested in helping out please email Janet at RGSJRS@aol.com.
See you on Saturday at IFFS Farm and/or Sunday at Crop Mob!
IFFS Mayview Community Garden 2136 Mayview Rd.
Mayview Community Garden is located behind the Duplex at . Turn onto Mayview from Oberlin, then take the first right into the parking lot. Park in any of the spaces and walk to the back of the lot. The garden is located just down the hill.
Neighbor2Neighbor- 1200 South Blount Street. (view map)
IFFS Farm --- 2401 Dover Farm Rd. (view map)