As the nights start to get a bit of a chill and the leaves get ready to change we deiced to post a quick, hearty, healthy and tasty chili recipe. Our OFL class in Durham tried out this recipe in class last week and enjoyed it. Chili is a great meal and good by itself, on a salad, in a burrito or with some corn chips to make nachos. Try out this recipe below and let us know what you think. We would also love to hear what suggestions and variations you may have.
Turkey and Vegetable Chili
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (15½ ounce) can red or white kidney beans
- 2 (14½ ounce) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel and rinse onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Rinse and remove seeds from green pepper.
- Dice onion, carrots, and green pepper. Mince garlic.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add turkey to large pot and brown.
- Add carrots, green pepper, and onion to the pot and sauté until onions are transparent and carrots are somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, water, cumin, and chili powder to the vegetables in the large pot.
- Cook over medium heat until all the flavors have blended together, about 15 minutes.