Last week our OFL class in Durham created Chocolate Strawberry French Toast, and the recipe was a hit! It just so happens that strawberries are on sale this week at Harris Teeter until Tuesday at midnight! So go pick up some fresh strawberries and try out this recipe for yourself.
Chocolate Strawberry French Toast
Serves 4, 1 piece of toast per serving
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup low-fat chocolate milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 medium strawberries
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- ¼ cup light syrup
1. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer or whisk until frothy.
2. Add chocolate milk and cinnamon to egg whites and beat about 1 minute.
3. Rinse strawberries, cut off leafy tops, and slice ⅛ inch thick.
4. Coat a large frying pan with the non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
5. Quickly dip one piece of bread in egg mixture and flip to coat both sides.
6. Remove bread from egg mixture, shaking off any excess egg coating, and quickly place it in the frying pan.
7. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
8. Remove from pan.
9. Top each piece of bread with 3 Tablespoons sliced strawberries and 1 Tablespoon light syrup.