It’s no surprise that eating healthy can sometimes be a challenge. Here at the Food Shuttle, we've come up with some easy ways to stay healthy, while keeping both your stomach and wallet full:
Buy fresh produce that’s in season and local.
- Local in season fruits and vegetables will likely taste better and be full of nutrients because they are picked at peak just before sale.
- Items from local farmers are generally less expensive because they reflect lower transportation costs.
Bonus: you’ll be helping local farmers, local commerce and the environment all at the same time!
- If you do not use all the fresh produce try freezing it to avoid waste.
Stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables that aren’t in season.
- Helps to ensure that you always have healthy ingredients on hand.
- You will save money by eliminating wasteful food purchases. Just make sure you choose items with no added salt or sugar, and no sauces and gravies.
- In most cases, frozen produce is comparable, and sometimes higher, in nutritional value than fresh because it is picked and frozen at peak.
Stay tuned for more healthy and budget-friendly tips!
By: Sarah Mehta, Food Shuttle Intern