Labor Day Weekend Fruit Energizers
These are some of my favorite recipes from Operation Frontline. Healthy food can be delicious, as these recipies prove. Try one today and let me know what you think! -Katherine, Director of Nutrition.
As summer draws to an end the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle presents OFL healthy recipes to remember summer! These recipes feature farm-fresh NC peaches and are a great treat for one or can be easily multiplied for a crowd.
Fresh local fruits that are in season can create a tasty treat during hot summer weekends and can provide loads of vitamins, energy and hydration. Below are two fruit based summer recipes with interchangeable ingredients that will keep you both refreshed and healthy during the upcoming holiday weekend.
Fresh Local Peaches and Fruit Yogurt Dip
- 1 Peach
- 1 cup of nonfat plain or vanilla* yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Slice peach, remove seed and chop.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix well
- Sprinkle a dash of ground cinnamon on top for display
- Try adding 1 teaspoon of lime zest instead for a tangy treat.
- Remember that infants cannot have honey. You can use 1 tablespoon of sugar instead of honey in this recipe.
- Serve as a dip with your favorite cut up fruits such as peaches, apples, kiwis, bananas, grapes and strawberries.
- *If you use vanilla yogurt, do not add honey or sugar to the recipe.
Peachy Fruit Smoothies
- 1 Peach
- ½ Peeled Banana
- ½ cup of ice cubes
- 1 cup of non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup of 100% orange juice
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Special Materials: Blender or food processor
- Cut peach, remove pit and put in blender or food processor
- Add remaining ingredients to the blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend until smooth
- Try using other fresh local fruit that may be in season from your back yard or local farmers market.
- Replace orange juice with non-fat or 1% milk for a creamier smoothie.
- Try frozen fruit instead of ice.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add non-fat milk. If the smoothie is two thin, add more fruit.