Healthy Grilling Tips for Labor Day Weekend
- Buy lean low fat meats, including chicken breasts, ground turkey breast formed into burgers, pork tenderloin, and flank steak.
- Consider grilling fish and/or veggies instead of meat. Squash, eggplant, zucchini, corn, bell peppers and asparagus are all great veggies choices for grilling.
- Marinate your meats, fish, or veggies ahead of time to reduce cancer-promoting chemicals from forming.
- Remove the skin from chicken before marinating and/or cooking.
- Try to avoid over-cooking or charring the meat. When meat and vegetables are cooked to very high temperatures harmful cancer-promoting carcinogens form.
- Try cooking meat slower at a lower temperature this helps to keep meat moist and lock in the natural flavors.
- Finish off your grilling celebration with grilled peaches, plums, or figs paired with low fat vanilla ice cream!