This week's Ripe Recipe is another from the kitchen of the Food Shuttle's own Sally Bache. You may remember Sally for her Italian Bread Salad . Now she's sharing her Thai Basil Eggplant dish. You'll never look at eggplant the same after this!
Thai Basil Eggplant
- 4 japanese eggplant cut into 1/2" rounds or half-rounds
- (or 2 regular eggplant cut into 1" cubes)
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1" squares
- 2-3 long, hot chilis (serrano, thai or cayenne) cut into 1/4" rounds--optional
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 c water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs peanut oil
- Thai/Vietnamese fish sauce
In a wok over high heat stir fry in the peanut oil the eggplant, bell pepper, optional hot chilis and garlic--stirring or tossing frequently. When the vegetables begin to soften & brown a bit on the outside, season pan with 2-3 tbs of fish sauce, sprinkle with sugar, and toss in the cup of water. Cover as the veggies steam & finish cooking, then uncover the pan and let the juices reduce as you toss in the fresh basil.