1 in 4 children in north carolina is at risk of hunger.
backpack buddies provides over 2,100 children weekend meals.
BackPack Buddies is designed to provide children from low-income households with 10-12 pounds of nutritious kid friendly groceries for the weekend when free school lunches and breakfasts are not provided. The Food Shuttle works with each school system and individual schools to identify need. School officials at each site then identify students to receive BackPack Buddies.
- Over 118,000 children in our service area applied for free and reduced price meals, according to the Department of Public Instruction
- 1 in 4 children are at risk of hunger in North Carolina, according to Feeding America
What We Do
- Deliver more than 2,100 children BackPacks each week
- Partner with 69 schools across our service area
- Pack and distribute bags with healthy nutritious food for the weekend
- Last Fiscal Year: 80,000 BackPacks and 888,000 pounds of food were delivered
How you can help
- Get involved with PORCH Durham or PORCH Raleigh and start a neighborhood food drive.
- Hold your own food drive for BackPack Buddies. We always need items to send home with hungry children over the weekend. Here's how to do it.
- Fund a BackPack at your local school, see fundraisers below, or start your own!
- Know of a need in your local community? Contact Julie Cox to start up a BackPack Buddies program
Fund a BackPack and support your local school
Our Corporate Partners
Interested in becoming a corporate sponsor? See more information here.
Get to know the newest member of the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle staff - Ron Ross!
Wake leaders are touting progress in providing food for the county’s most vulnerable students.
Every two weeks 20+ employees at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross) gather together on the Durham campus and find a place on the BackPack Buddies assembly line.
An inside look at how Food Shuttle is collaborating with several partner agencies to feed children across the Triangle this summer.
My name is Julie Cox and I am the new Child Hunger Programs Manager. I have witnessed first-hand what it means to have hungry children in a classroom.
As our timeline shows, BackPack Buddies has grown substantially, both in hungry kids served, but also in terms of community members engaged in this effort.
Farragut Systems fueled employee engagement - and fed Durham children - by offering a payroll-deduction donation program PLUS a corporate match.
In his own words, IFFS Board Member Dick Jones shares what impresses him about the Food Shuttle's "ambitious undertaking" in Durham.
"What’s so great about PORCH is that we make easy by picking up your food donations from your front porch and deliver right to IFFS!"
IFFS volunteers spent MLK Day serving others through BackPack Buddies, Grocery Bags for Seniors, and Gleaning
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle enjoyed reading the White House's SNAP report. Here are 3 key findings we think you should see:
A 1-minute feel-good tour of the many ways YOUR SUPPORT helps Feed, Teach, and Grow to end hunger.