We've been fighting hunger for 20+ years with the support of people like you! Please join us. There are many ways to get
involved with Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. To learn more, contact Volunteers@FoodShuttle.org.
- BACKPACK BUDDIES - Groups of 8-10 people help sort food from BackPack Buddies food drives and fill or deliver the over 1400 backpacks we send out weekly with nutritious weekend meals for food insecure children.
- DURHAM SERVICE CENTER - Volunteers needed to sort, pack, and deliver food for the Backpack Buddies Program and the School Pantry Program. Both small groups (less than 10 people) and individuals welcome.
- Volunteer(s) to deliver backpacks to the Durham's Boys and Girls Club and Glenn Elementary school on each Thursday during the '13-'14 school year. Contact Ja'Nell Henry at DurhamCoord@FoodShuttle.org for more information or to volunteer.
- Volunteer Driver: Volunteer needed to assist with a once a month delivery to a community partner. Volunteer must have a valid driver's license, clean driving record, and complete a driving test. Must be between the ages of 25 and 70 years old. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to express interest.
- FIELD GLEANING - Help gather fresh, healthy produce for people experiencing food hardship. Volunteers work in groups at area farms to gather excess crops which are then delivered to low-income families.
- FOOD RECOVERY - Driver and Driver Assistant: Cover established routes in our refrigerated trucks recovering food from donor sites and delivering it to recipient agencies to reach people in need. Must be 21 to drive and 15 to assist a driver. No special license needed.
- GROCERY BAGS - Groups of 10 to 15 people [corporations, clubs, faith-based groups] pack and deliver grocery bags to low-income seniors. GROUPS ONLY.
- MOBILE MARKET - We need volunteers to work the fourth Friday of every month at our Hoke St Mobile Market (500 Hoke St, Raleigh). Volunteers will set up, pass out food and clean up. The hours are 2pm-5:30pm.
- NUTRITION & HEALTHY COOKING - Lead cooking-based nutrition education courses and demonstrations designed to teach low-income families how to purchase and prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Volunteers are needed for Nutrition and Culinary Instructors, Classroom Assistants, Food Demoists, and Food Runners. Backgrounds in culinary arts, nutrition, or education are highly encouraged, but not required for all positions. Translators and Spanish-speaking volunteers needed for ALL positions.
- ONE-TIME EVENTS and SPECIAL PROJECTS - Assist at special events such as volunteer fairs, fund-raisers, food drives, or special food distributions. Skilled clerical, administrative, and technical volunteers are also needed for special projects.
- PHONE CULTIVATOR & DATA ENTRY FARMER - Do you think hunger in our area is unacceptable? Want to do something about it from the comfort of a chair? If so, we need you! We are looking for someone who wants to be a voice for the hungry by answering our telephone! A willingness to do some data entry would be greatly appreciated as well!
- PLANT-A-ROW - Grow produce in your backyard or community gardens to be donated for hunger relief. Volunteers are also needed to staff booths at promotional events to collect PAR donations.
- TEACHING FARM - Get your hands dirty and volunteer on our teaching farm in Raleigh! Learn about sustainable agriculture and connect to where your food comes from. Help us with soil preparation, planting, harvesting, weeding, composting, mulching, and working with the chickens, goats, bees and worms.
We are currently looking for volunteers to help open and close the farm, staff our Farm Stand, and be part of our Harvesting Crew, Field Preparation Crew, and Composting Crew! Contact Joshua@FoodShuttle.org for details.
- WAREHOUSE - Help in general warehouse maintenance: loading and unloading trucks, sorting food, sweeping, mopping.
- VOLUNTEERING AS A GROUP - Want to volunteer as a group with your co-workers, club, or faith-based group? BackPack Buddies, the Durham Service Center, our Teaching Farm, Grocery Bags, and Field Gleaning are great group options!